Sunday, August 31, 2008

Inside the Locomotive



That’s when the thrilling part comes in… the engineer invited me (yes ME!… with all those locomotive affectionados there) up into the engine compartment. I did not need to be asked twice and quickly (but carefully) made the giant climb up into the cab. That’s when I realized a locomotive engineer’s job is not easy… he must sit right in front of 5000 degrees of burning coal (this is what the fireman said, "5000 degrees"; seems kind of high to me). Mr. Hovatter opened the doors of the fire box so I could see it and then he offered to take my photo. Thank you, Mr. Hovatter, for a thrilling Sunday morning! I will always remember the day you invited me into the engineer’s seat of the Cumberland to Frostburg scenic railroad steam locomotive.

No comments: